Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: Loading a Disobdient Horse

Kathy D Kathy D
Topics Started: 0Replies Posted: 4

LOL! I’m not laughing at you, I’m laughing with you… There is nothing worse than leaving for a show at 4 am, and your dang horse won’t get in the dang trailer!! Makes me crazy… I have fixed many, and I mean MANY horses that even the trainers couldn’t get in the trailer….. Here is my 2 cent….. FEED her in it.. If you feed hay and grain, put it in the trailer…. In the morning I will try to load, if they don’t, then they don’t get their grain… And then they get just a few hand fulls of hay. I want them to feel hungry.. NOT STARVED!!! Then in the PM I do it again. Use the food to lour them… If they don’t load, they go back to their stall until the next AM. Sometimes I even do it during the day… In all my years of doing this, I have never had a horse go more than 2 days without loading… Once in, feed them their grain (or whatever)… Then do it again the next day.. So basically they are eating in the trailer…. After a week, problems over… I had one that would flip himself over backwards… After a week or two, i went to dump his grain want without realizing it he jumped in the trailer right behind me….. He loaded in ANYTHING! Good luck my fellow rider! Let me know if it works for ya… :)

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders