Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: Very energetic Anglo-Arabian

Joe-Joe Joe-Joe
Topics Started: 17Replies Posted: 1205

Years ago, I read an old wives’ tale that recommended cracking an uncooked egg on a horse’s head if it reared. Supposedly, said horse will think it has broken its head and will never rear again. I have no idea if it is true, and I’m not sure how easy it would be to ride while carrying an egg waiting for something to happen. But, rearing is (my opinion) one of the absolute worst things a horse can do.

Re what I said earlier about sidepassing – if you are in the woods, you don’t want your horse to start crunching you against trees! As for the other ideas, obviously you would start with just one of them, and gradually add others. Some may work well for you, others not so well. Another thing that makes Joe Joe concentrate is to carry an MP3 player with an external speaker. He likes music (favorite song is “Another One Bites the Dust”), and he pays more attention to what he is supposed to be doing when he has it. Selena doesn’t seem to care.

As for the bucking, can you make her just stand still until she settles herself? Also, have you had your vet or someone check the saddle fit? If the saddle does not fit properly, it will cause discomfort and even the quietest horse will object.

It is never the horse's fault

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders