Reply To: Arthritis Help

S
Topics Started: 0Replies Posted: 2

I have a 22, almost 23 year old Arabian mare who has arthritic hocks. She was ridden lightly this past spring (had checked with my veterinarian) until she became quite sore. She is on Smart Pak joint supplement. This past fall I had her hocks injected by my veterinarian. Over the past few months she appears better (more balanced on her hind legs- standing better.). I also read that flax seed is an anti inflamatory and she is on that also (1 scoop AM and 1 scoop PM). Her feed is very simple: small amount of cleaned oats (about 1 1/2 cups) and a mix of first and second cutting hay AM and PM pretty much free choice. She also has access to salt and water. this February she appears to be improving ….not showing signs of soreness.
The Danish have been studying arthritis in horses and have been using an injectable that seems to be producing good results with regard to putting horses back to work. I have spoken to my veterinarian about this drug and may try it on my mare. Another option to consider.