Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: Abscesses on Hooves

Rosita Rosita
Topics Started: 0Replies Posted: 6

TWO THINGS FOR YOUR TB!
1) get Soft Ride Boots! NOW & have them FedEx-ed & sent to your best address. Worth every penny as other brands don’t hold up. Have tried several and they just fell apart in three days. Softrideboots.com. My vet had me put them on my active Azteca mare when she severely bruised a front foot: avoided abscesses. They even stayed on when she had her frequent cases of “happy feet”, which is how she got hurt having too much fun. Other boots may work for a very short time, but Soft Ride Boots are sized to fit and not chafe. I got two sorts of inserts: laminitis pads (which lasted 6 months of hard/brutal use) and normal pads, which I have in reserve just in case she decides to run and play too much. She is now 100% out of the boots. My arena turnout is groomed but cow pony DNA is not to be denied: they love to run and spin.
2) make sure horse gets a good biotin supplement. Biotin was discovered as a human supplement because of its value in horses. Also, in winter, horses do not make vitamin D3. They need green grass and sunshine for their biochemistry, which has a different pathway from humans with same vitamin at end. My vet has my horses on vitamin D3 (consult literature for dose) and small daily amounts of magnesium maleate from Source Naturals (just a few hundred milligrams). Magnesium carbonate or oxide is basically rock & poorly absorbed. The vet literature seems not to have figured this out. My vet did understand! She warned that the 14 grams (yes, grams!!!) a day of MgO or MgCO3 in some nutritional trials could be enuf to change gut pH.

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders