Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: Relaxing a hot horse

ponygirl360 ponygirl360
Topics Started: 8Replies Posted: 41

Hello!

I have a 15 year old Appaloosa, and he can sometimes be quite a handful! I ride him in a hackamore, and he does incredibly well with it. I know it can be very frustrating when the horse starts getting nervous, and then that makes you nervous. When this happens, I bring my horse down to a walk immediately. If just walking does not help to calm him down, I begin doing bending/flexing exercises (at the halt). Small circles and figure eights are also helpful. Unfortunately, I’ve found that some horses are just flighty, and it takes time to ride them through their fear. With my Appy, I began teaching him that as soon as he is startled by something unfamiliar, he STOPS. I mean a dead stop. No running off or jumping sideways. Now, if he sees something he is unsure about, he stops himself and checks it out. I would much rather have that than a horse who takes off when they spook. It takes time, a LOT of time, but the miles will be worth it!

Good luck!

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders