Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: Relaxing a hot horse

techmichelle
Topics Started: 0Replies Posted: 9

Safety first :-) Bareback pads with spooky horses, really look into this before you try.

Reading a few people suggesting lounging with a purpose :-) Slow, responding to your quiet request for stops, backs and turns.

Saw a video? newsletter? at a clinic? from Jane Savoie on this issue. Works awesome. Its about asking the horse to pay attention to you with yields. She explains it much better than I can, works great especially for the to – from – and in arena.

For the trail ride some horses love it, some just never settle. I have issues with this. I am a strong tail rider, a spooky horse is looking to you LEAD on a trail ride. There are horses I will pull out of the pasture hop on and go for a trail ride. Same horse and I’ve told friends lounge, ride in arena and if it doesn’t feel right that day don’t do it. I’ve gotten one to many calls … We should have listened to you.

You might look around for an instructor that teaches round penning. I’ve seen a few instructors help clients this way. One instructor was a western dressage person :-)

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders