Join the conversation! Login or register to ask your question or help a fellow rider.
Call us 24/7 - 1-800-461-8898

Reply To: odd behavior

ridermom Original Poster
Topics Started: 2Replies Posted: 4

Thank you for the input. That’s a good point about not avoiding the problem. I hadn’t thought of it that way. The horse does not act that way with my daughter. We’ve taken her to the field and let her graze around the gate inside and out and she was fine. That makes it difficult for us to try and work on it. Getting her through the gate is not the problem, it’s holding on to her once she gets there because she wants to bolt. She knocked down the person she was with yesterday and jumped over her to get in and away. The staff rotates taking her out and it doesn’t seem to matter who she is with. I just wonder if it’s something to do with the situation, not the people. I’m thinking that’s why she doesn’t do it with my daughter – because she’s working with her in the evening, not in the morning during normal turnout time. I also thought it may have to do with the other horses. But I’m told they all seem to get along well during the day. However, I know in the past when we’ve brought her back to the field after a ride and all the other horses are standing around the gate, she gets a bit nervous while you’re trying to get her halter off amongst all the other horses gathered around. So even if the other horses aren’t there, maybe she’s anticipating. I’m baffled.

Healthy Horses  ❤  Happy Riders