Reply To: INPUT NEEDED! Refusing to move forward while lunging; Putting up a fight

Joe-Joe Joe-Joe
Topics Started: 17Replies Posted: 1205

G&S – I’m just old. “Longe” is what we used, and the term to which I am accustomed. As for the practice of doing it, both my loons, in their separate ways, dislike it. Selena is terrified of whips, but will go around changing gaits with the use of words and/or snapping my fingers. Joe Joe, on the other hand, thinks it is stupid (he thinks a lot of things are stupid), and just looks at me and says “I don’t want to, and you can’t make me”. On the occasions I have done it (no time to ride for various reasons), they got more hyper than normal, so I just stopped. My line does not have a chain, and since my horses think they are fragile orchids, I wouldn’t use one if it did. Side reins help keep their heads where they ought to be in a less dangerous (danger to me as well as them) manner.

The definitions of lunge and longe are totally different, and the terms are not interchangeable. We just don’t speak our own language well in this country, never mind other languages.

It is never the horse's fault