Reply To: INPUT NEEDED! Refusing to move forward while lunging; Putting up a fight

G & S
Topics Started: 16Replies Posted: 253

Joe-Joe – Every horse person has to do what is right for their horses, and you are smart enough & experienced enough to know that and choose what works for your horses. Kudos to you and every other horse person who understands & follows that philosophy. Like most Arabians, the ones I have worked with (with a few notable exceptions such as the Arabian stallion who would regularly charge at me when on the lunge) understood my rules and could live with them, usually without much if any fuss. However, what worked for me will not work for every horse or every horse person.

Language is a fluid thing, and American English (as opposed to British English, which is a case of 2 countries frequently divided by the same language) has adopted many foreign words and made them part of our everyday vocabulary. My 2005 Webster’s New Explorer Dictionary does not list anything to do with working a horse on a big circle on a line in its definition of lunge, only the term as relates to fencing. However, my French/English dictionary does translate 1 usage of the French term “longe” as “tether, lunge [spelled as I have typed it here], leading-rein, thong, picket(ing) rope”. The 2nd usage of the French word longe is defined as “longe de veau” which it translates into English as “loin of veal”, clearly not pertinent to our discussion.

Sometimes my Linguistics Minor in collage does come in handy. Spending the 70’s in Europe, including 5 years in France doesn’t hurt either. When one can dream in a foreign language & have it be grammatically correct, & recognize it as being grammatically correct, one has a fairly decent handle on that language, although I never did lose the American accent to my French, which one of my co-workers once informed me was “cute”. Needless to say, but I’m going to say it anyway, I have never told anyone speaking English with an accent that I thought their accent was “cute”.