Wash gently with a chlorhexidine shampoo (Hibiclens…sp? can be purchased over the counter in the human wound care section of the store) and let it sit for about 10 mins. Rinse, dry completely (hair dryer on low works well for me), and cover with Desitin. Can be covered with gauze and vetwrap to keep dry/clean. This worked wonders to clear up bad scratches on my horse. I did not have any luck with other topical ointments. As others said, definitely have your vet confirm what you are dealing with.