December 8, 2014 at 3:58 pm
I am currently doing a 30-day trial with an 11 year old palomino paint. I was told by her owner that she has some arthritis in her hind right leg. I was given the vet reports as well as Previcox which is what she has been on for the last few months. In the reports it states that she had some injections into her coffin bone which im a little concerned about. I do not know a whole lot about arthritis in horses but I do know that it gets worse over time. At the moment she is completely sound and there is no swelling at all, she runs around the paddock like its nothing and doesn’t seem to be in any pain which im sure the Previcox is helping with.
I am just looking for some opinions from people who have/have owned horses/or who know more about arthritis. I am also on the fence about buying her after the trial if her vet bills are going to be outrageous which I cannot afford. I will obviously make my decision once I have worked with her more and I would like to see what she can do.
Opinions/suggestions please? I would REALLY appreciate it 🙂December 8, 2014 at 7:51 pm
I would suggest that you discuss her previous treatments with the vet who treated her. Arthritis can be managed (I’ve had it myself for decades), but it does worsen with age. What you choose to do requires answers to several questions. Some are – how much do you like this particular horse, would you be happy owning her even if there are periods of time when she cannot be ridden, what sort of riding do you want to do (this is most important!), as well as cost. Arthritis isn’t generally expensive to treat, but of course there is no cure. It seems to me that 11 is rather young for disabling arthritis in a horse – are you sure you have been given the correct diagnosis?
It is never the horse's faultDecember 8, 2014 at 10:12 pmMapaleTopics Started: 4Replies Posted: 421
X-rays will tell you just how advanced the arthritis is. You need a vet check (by your OWN vet) before you consider buying this horse or make any more emotional investment. The upfront costs may save you a lot of grief down the road. Previcox is a very effective anti-inflammatory and is masking the extent of the problem. Until you have X-rays and an exam by an independent veterinarian, it would be difficult to accurately assess this horse. Good luck.
Alois Podhajsky: “When I hear somebody talk about a horse being stupid, I figure it’s a sure sign that animal has outfoxed them. ...December 10, 2014 at 3:07 pm
thank you for your advice!
She has had xrays done before and I have consulted my primary vet as well as my back up vet and they both gave me the same opinion. That fact that she is so young and is already having to take an anti-inflammatory such as Previcox concerns them. I was looking to do barrel racing and roping with her but have already decided to not buy her. She is a beautiful mare but unfortunately I cannot afford those vet bills if I were to keep her and run her the way that I wanted. She would make an excellent trail/light riding horse for somebody so I’d much rather her go to a different home with someone who wont demand as much from her 🙂December 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Sounds like you are doing the right thing, for her and for you. There is an old saying “horses for courses”. She may be the most beautiful, sweetest horse you will ever meet, but if she cannot do what you want to do, it would only end in tears. Keep looking – you will find the horse you need.
It is never the horse's faultDecember 10, 2014 at 5:21 pmMapaleTopics Started: 4Replies Posted: 421
I am relieved to hear it, jess. Previcox is a medication I’ve used with great effectiveness for pain management; I would not be willing to put a horse under heavy work while using it. Additionally the coffin bone injections scare me. She is young to need all that pain management. It is the kindest and most responsible decision you could have made for both of you.
I agree with Joe-Joe, the right horse is out there who is built to excel in the disciplines you can enjoy together. Never settle.
Alois Podhajsky: “When I hear somebody talk about a horse being stupid, I figure it’s a sure sign that animal has outfoxed them. ...December 11, 2014 at 9:49 am
thank you much for the kind words of advice, Mapale & Joe-Joe 🙂December 12, 2014 at 12:10 pmponygirl360Topics Started: 8Replies Posted: 41
Sounds like you made the right decision. Arthritis can be costly to manage and it can be difficult to ‘treat.’ Especially if you were going to use her to run barrels. I hope you find a horse that will better suit your needs soon! 🙂December 21, 2014 at 10:26 amNinaJDTopics Started: 8Replies Posted: 139
Though you’ve already stated you aren’t going to be buying her, I would suggest homeopathic.
JD has very bad arthritis, along with ringbone. I started him on Previcox, half a pill daily, then we found homeopathic. Did it for a year and now no more previcox daily. I think I’ve given him a quarter of a pill once in the last 8 months.
I was really surprised by how well the homeopathic worked and it’s a lot cheaper, I think I spent a total of $60 for the year. Versus $175 for a bottle of 60 pills.
"Take the time it takes, so that it takes less time."
"Expect a lot, accept a little, reward often."
Pat ParelliDecember 21, 2014 at 11:26 am
Homeopathic what? This might be something I will have to deal with, depending on the x-ray results.
It is never the horse's faultDecember 22, 2014 at 4:09 pmJoan FryTopics Started: 11Replies Posted: 324
Whose arthritis are you talking about, Joe-Joe? Yours or the boy’s?
Jess, I agree that you made the right decision. Years ago I seriously considered buying a young, beautiful TB who had been retired from the track because of a big knee. All I wanted was a trail horse, but when my vet examined her–and I don’t remember if the issue was arthritis, but it did relate to her knee and surrounding cartilage–he asked how long I planned to keep her. When I told him until she died of old age, he shook his head. “Sooner or later she’ll break down, and I can’t guarantee how long you’ll be able to ride her.”
Reluctantly I passed on her, and she was even younger than the mare you were interested in. Sometimes we face painful choices, but I think you made the right decision for both you and the mare.December 22, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Joan – his. Mine is a lost cause. Did you see his tree? It is under “Once More, With Feeling”.
It is never the horse's faultMarch 4, 2015 at 9:39 amzoe222Topics Started: 2Replies Posted: 10
Good choice! As the owner of an arthritic horse I can tell you it is a constant battle to keep them comfortable and most of my successes came from lifestyle changes. After I bought her (knowing full well her age and medical conditions – and still begging to buy her) I spent a year just changing her activity level to see what we could achieve without drugs. We now do at least 20 minutes of walking before any work and work is light but long. Standing still causes issues so we focus on getting her out a lot but no high impact stuff. I also let her health dictate the work program. She has great days and bad days depending on the weather and who knows what. I just go in and ride based on what she needs not what I want or need. She was a grand prix jumper out of Europe – now we just pop over a couple of x’s once or twice a month.
On the medial side I give her a half a previcox once a day, smart pak supplements, and a monthly dose of adaquan (?sp). These make a huge difference but I do not think they would be doing much if we were still trying to jump her big. Can’t imagine trying to get her around barrels. Hope you find something wonderful that works for you.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.